Tuesday, May 03, 2011

The Power of Words


I think it's been just over a month since my last post.  Life got in the way and there was nothing I could do about it.

Anyway...... On to the next post!

"Words, words - they're all we have to go on."



This quote is from a play I recently did working as an assistant director from 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead' by Tom Stoppard.  It is an absurdist, existentialist tragicomedy, one I would recommend seeing it about two or three times to understand all the subtle humour that is in it.

The above quote was the one of the few that stuck with me when I first read the script because it is so true.  The English language in particular has so many words in it that many people who take up English as a second language consider it one of, it not the most expressive language on the planet.  This makes sense when one thinks about the many influences other languages have had on it.

When one knows the English language well, one is able to create anything from expressive poetry to thinly or heavily veiled threats.  It's all in the words!

With that said it sadden me when I have talk with people who have been raised in an English speaking nation and the words coming out of their mouths sound nothing like the language.  For one of the many jobs that I hold I have to deal with a lot of young people, who, for some reason or another, speak, what I understand people call, Ebonics.

I have tried my best to understand it, but to me it sounds as though the person is too lazy to pronounce the  word and thus makes his speech sound like he is talking through mush.  At this point I would like to point out that I have little to no problem when is comes to accents or slang (i.e. That's so wicked! Dude! or even Yo!).  Accents and slang reflect a local area's culture; England has the Cockney accent, New York City has the Brooklyn accent, Texas has the Cowboy-like accent (I have no idea what the official name of it is).  Within these accents and slangs there is still some sense of grammar, none of which I can find in Ebonics no matter how hard I try.

Which brings me to the point that got this whole post started: 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead'.  This show has so much word play and subtle humour that is unfortunately went over the heads of many people in the audience.  When I work purely backstage for a show I enjoy listening to the audience's reaction.  For this show I was at least hoping for good heartfelt chuckles, but instead I should have brought a recording of crickets for most of the performances.  We did, thank goodness, have two good audiences (I cannot tell you how draining it is when you are on stage and you get no reaction from the audience).

The playwright, Tom Stoppard, said that this show had to been seen rather than read, I agree.  Reading a play and seeing a play are two completely different experiences.  But I have to say that when I first read the script I was laughing hysterically over the seemingly nonsensical syllogisms and explanations of actions.  It's all there in the words! 

Words are a powerfully thing that is no longer utilized by the common people.  We have been reduced down to cursing for anything ranging from a stubbed toe to getting frustrated at people.  Even using curses and swears to describe good things (that I can't wrap my head around).  I say it is time to reclaim the English language and use it the fullest potential!!

Find a word, use it, add it to your arsenal of words!!

Keep English alive!

Let us not be reduced down to '1984' simple speech!

No comments: