Monday, May 09, 2011

Do You Know What Your Shirt is Saying?


T-shirts -- the epitome of casualness, no fuss nor muss of clothing.  It says 'Today is one of comfort and ease.'  I have my share of t-shirts, ranging from the solid colour tee to ones sporting sayings (I especially love my 'Hello Sweetie' shirt - River Song is awesome!)  It is my ultimate stay-at-home wear!  I have developed the need to spruce up my appearance whenever I have to go out into public, even for errands.  This does not mean I put on a dress when I need to run out and get bread.  I usually put on a blouse over my t-shirt or put on a polo shirt, then go out.

I know not everyone shares this same fashion sensibility as I do and as long as people are modestly and respectfully dressed I really don't mind what you have on.  Which brings me to the question stated above: Do you know what your shirt is saying?

With my weekend job I see a lot of t-shirts and I entertain myself by looking for very clever designs.  I am not ashamed to say I am partial to geeky shirts concerning Doctor Who, Star Wars, etc.  I get giddy when I see a shirt bearing an joke or phrase that only fans would understand and it brightens my day when the customer geeks out with me! :)  (Say it with me people: Don't Blink!)

Then there are those designs that make me scratch my head and wonder 'How did that get past good taste?'  This category includes crude phrases to suggestive images.  Most of these tend to be focus on sexual conquest and objectifying woman (many times both).  I have often run out of brain bleach with the frequency in which I see these shirts.  I am also very surprise when women are wearing t-shirts that demean their personhood into an object of sex to be use and then thrown away.  Can someone explain why woman do that do themselves?  What really gets my goat is when I see a suggestive comment on a child's, (yes you read that correctly, a child's) shirt.  (I want my goat back!)  I have often wanted to ask the wearer of these shirts 'Do you know what your shirt is saying?' but due to my position of customer service and mostly it is not my place to remark to a stranger, I say nothing.  

I guess in a way this relates back to my post on swearing, both being very similar.  I hope that someday people will remember that being funny doesn't have to be crude and that a lot of these t-shirts are very insulting and hurtful. 

So I ask again: Do you know what your shirt is saying?

I end this post with a toast to good humor and taste!
Prost!

No comments: