Monday, February 13, 2017

Metadata, Numb3rs, and Library School

I've tweeted about this before and I thought I should expand upon it. My first introduction to the concept of metadata was not in class for Library Science. It had first crossed my attention on the show 'Numb3rs'. For those of you who don't know it's a crime show about tow brothers, one is a genius mathematician the other is a FBI agent and together they solve crimes.

Yes, they solve crime with math.


As a result, concepts like metadata and datamining were shown being applied in a real world format. It helped ground these cerebral concepts in a fun way. It's a fun good show that I highly recommend. The prided itself on keeping the math and its application correct (there were some liberties here and there for the sake of story - but overall, real solid).

It's a bit like going in reverse for me - seeing real world application then learning about the theory.

Metadata is still a little daunting, but knowing and seeing an application of it makes it less so. In the end I can say that yes, I did learn something by watching TV.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Many times, I like learning "in reverse"! :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering

Dr. MacCall