Monday, January 18, 2016

MLIS, ITF, and Other Fun Things

To some I am known as Livie, others 'what's her face', and to those most dear a friend. The purpose of this posting for for my LS 560 class, Information Technology, in which I will introduce myself to my fellow classmates who are also in pursuit of a MLIS, and a brief rundown of my ITF (information technology fluency).

Fellow classmates - Hello!

A few notes about my person, I currently work as a full time library assistant at a branch library who graduated from Christendom College in Virginia with a strong Liberal Arts education resulting in a B.A. in Scared Theology. It was often stated during my time at Christendom that a Liberal Arts education would give me strong skills in critical thinking, research, and writing; overall, I find that to be true but it also
strengthen my out-of-box thinking.  I have no shame declaring myself a geek in both fantasy and sci-fi - it's how I met some of my closest friends and how I get to have amazing interactions with new people. I am all about learning new things - it turns into a new adventure of discovery and more often than not those new things I learn come back to help in the library because eventually a patron will ask a question about it.

My favorite sight and smell.
A few notes on my ITF; one of my coworkers jokingly refers to me as the IT person of the branch, but I think it is mostly due to the fact that I am the youngest full time employee there. A trait I share with the rest of my generation is that I grew up with the fast growing technology of the world so I have a tendency to figure out things tech-related after messing with it. So when there is a patron  who needs help on a computer, I'm usually the one that gets sent out to assist.

I did not touch a computer until I was in the sixth grade when I remember most distinctly typing in a web address in the URL bar then asking 'Now what?', much to the dismay of my teacher and classmates. But, as evident by this blog, I have since learned to use a computer but I am not what you would call completely tech savvy. I am the person who will take the manual and refer to it often as I'm learning how to use a new device, which is why my parents will simple hand a manual to me with a pleading look saying 'Explain, please!'

I am very thankful for the invention of the mouse with all it's point and click wonderfulness, so please don't ask me how to enter in a command line with all those confusing slashes and dashes. I am hoping by the end of the semester that I will understand those slashes and dashes a little bit better without the need to get the lion tamer's chair and whip for assistance yelling 'Back! Back!'

On to the User Profile Activity (cue dramatic chord): My mother is a very smart woman and is very well liked in our community. But to call her tech savvy would be erroneous. Again she is very smart, but she is the type of person who would be very happy to live without the beepings and dings of technology. But leave her an electric lamp so she can read her books, she loves to read. She knows how to type up a document in Microsoft Word, but would need someone to help her with formatting. Email is something she uses because almost everyone else has an email that she interacts with through her volunteer work and most of the time that how they prefer to communicate; she can attach a file to an email, but needs a few reminders. She does not have a smartphone (she calls the one she currently has a 'dumbphone'), but is willing to learn how to use one if she needs to. I asked her if I gave her my digital camera without the manual would she be lost - there was little to no hesitation when she said that she probably would be lost. But she can use a Kindle Fire!

I am very nervous going into this class, but I am very it as a changllene from which I will not back down.  So bring it on scary technology! Bring it on!

1 comment:

Becky Givens said...

Livie, I enjoyed reading your blog! My dinosaur iphone 3 died last week and I have a new phone... and I feel like you described your mom. I couldn't even answer it when it rang. But I seem to be absorbing it somehow. I suspect this class will be the same. Reading about you being nervous makes me feel either better about also being nervous or justified in being nervous... I am not sure which!